In the fall of 1891, the Galland brothers sold their Wallace store and began construction of the Galland-Burke brewery in Spokane. The immense structure was located on Broadway Avenue, between Post and Lincoln Streets, overlooking the namesake falls of the city. The articles of incorporation were filed on July 13th, 1891 with capitalization of $100,000. W. S. Norman, Julius Galland, John Burke, George Truax, and Theodore Galland were the principal stockholders. Of the 1,000 shares, two Galland Brothers owned 799 when first incorporated. Two decades later, a series of transactions involving the merger or purchase of the Henco Brewery, the New York Brewery, and the Galland-Burke Brewery resulted the reincorporation on May 1st, 1902, of the Spokane Brewing and Malting Company for one million dollars. Brewing was big business on the frontier.
By Tony and Suzanne Bamonte, excerpted from their book, The Coeur d’Alenes Gold Rush and Its Lasting Legacy, available at Auntie’s Books in downtown Spokane and from Tornado Creek Publications. Prohibition in Washington and Idaho began on January 1, 1916, and the County Dry Squad,
By Nostalgia Magazine Staff Above, in 1922, Davenport’s Restaurant is remodeled, doubled in size, and re-opened as the Italian Gardens (Italian Renaissance architecture). Photo courtesy of the Davenport Hotel. Long before the Davenport Hotel had been conceived, the unassuming entrepreneur, Louis Davenport, opened a restaurant